Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Getting Ready

Well, with less than two weeks to go, the hard realities of traveling nearly 6000 miles atop a motorcycle are setting in. The RT (BMW R1200RT) is prepared, and I've tested the luggage systems on a trial 1000-mile trip in VT and NY. I've made connections with friends old (the Quinns in Pensacola), and new (Mike Valentin in TX); I've got lodging reservations along the first couple of days of the route. Now it's mostly a matter of rolling down the driveway and heading south and west to Perryton, TX.

For those who are new to my adventure, I'm planning to ride my motorcycle down to NJ, then head south to Front Royal, VA, down the Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park) connecting directly to the Blue Ridge Parkway, and end up near Hendersonville, NC. 

From there, I'll head west across Tennessee, Arkansas, and into Texas, finally arriving at Perryton, in the Texas Panhandle. This is where my father Oscar grew up. From Perryton, I'll ride down to Canyon, TX where he went to undergraduate college, and then on to Galveston, TX to see an old Boston FBI pal. After Galveston, I'm over to Pensacola, FL where I was in the Navy for a bit. After Pensacola, I'm headed north to Birmingham, AL, Greenville, SC, and Wake Forest, NC to see family there. After Wake Forest, I'm headed to Bethesda, MD to see family, then on to Cherry Hill, NJ for a family birthday party (I'm one of the birthday boys), and then, back to Boston. 

I figure that I'll take about a month for the trip. I expect that my BMW RT will need a new rear tire somewhere in Texas. That might slow me down a little.

I've planned to ride about 250 miles most days. I've learned that at about 250 miles a blissful experience becomes painful drudgery. Gosh, I'm retired, and I hope my days of drudgery are behind me!

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to watch your travels unfold! I hope you will post some pictures too so we can all see the beautiful scenery. ¡Buen viaje! Love, Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certainly planing to keep this blog up to date as I travel along. Of course, I'll have the Nikon close to hand, and the MacBook out each night. Get ready for me details than you probably want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    I'm now following you, whatever that means?!! So don't slow down unexpectedly. Stay alert on the bike and be safe.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo John! Have a great ride, and enjoy every day. Perhaps stop at the Clinton Library in Arkansas...? Weather in the plains states is pretty localized so you actually see it coming across the plain. Enjoy the BBQ!

    Peter Ben

    ReplyDelete