Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 10 - October 11 - Searcy, AR to Hot Springs, AR - 110 miles

    I know what you're saying...only 110 miles? Well, all I can say is that once again, I fell victim to the scare tactics of meteorologists. Here's the deal: I was planning to motor down to Little Rock, take a look at the Clinton Library, then head up to Russellville, AR over a very nice, twisty (remember that), interesting, fun Arkansas Route 7 (about 75 miles worth of this good stuff). Before I left the MicroTel, I watched The Weather Channel and learned about the terrible devastation (rain, hail, locusts -just kidding about that last)  which were about to be wrought on Arkansas, especially the area where I was planning to ride.

    I figured I had to go somewhere (my legs were cramping from the MicroTel), so I went to a Starbucks just outside Little Rock to get a decent cup of coffee. As many readers of this will know, a good cup of coffee can change your day, and this one set me up in good fashion.

   First,  I went to the William J. Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock. All I can say is that if you're anywhere close to the city, you should take a look at this place. There's a 12-minute intro film which could/should bring tears to your eyes. Really. Bill narrates and appears in it, and he did a pretty good job. I'll get some photos from the library into the post shortly, I think.

   Another high point of the day was my conversation with Jimmy Tanner. Jimmy is a retired Homicide Detective of the North Little Rock, AR Police Department. I had occasion to chat with Jimmy because one of the problems of traveling atop a motorcycle is that of security. Between places to stay, my bike is laden with (besides me): 1) GPS unit, 2) tank bag, and 3) large waterproof luggage containing clothes, MacBook, etc. I have a helmet, gloves, jacket, pants. I've got to do something with all that gear whenever I get off the bike and go into some place be it the Clinton Library, a 7-11 or a hotel.

   Anyway, I spoke with Jimmy at the Clinton Library. After we traded war stories for a bit, he said he'd be pleased to keep an eye on my stuff, and allowed me to park bike, stuff and clothing right in front of his station. A Good Guy (those in law enforcement will know what I mean).

    After the preliminaries, I was into the library (Senior Rate: $5). For those who've drunk the Kool-Aid (as I have) this is like a homecoming to the good old days.  Some will know what I mean, and some will say: "Wha?" or perhaps something stronger.

    Back to the road. I motored southwest to Hot Springs, Arkansas, watching to clouds building in the sky, I thought. I stopped in at Arkansas State Police Troop K HQ, and a lieutenant there told me that my plan to go to Russellville, AR was problematic due to the rain, hail, locusts (he didn't say that) forecast for my planned route. He suggested I stay and "enjoy Hot Springs" and try the road to Russellville on Tuesday, October 12.

    OK. I rolled over. Cancelled the reservation in Russellville, and headed for Hot Springs.

    There are plenty of places to stay in Hot Springs, but maybe not enough people, at least in mid-October. It seems to be a place which had a stellar history (due to the mineral baths), but science somehow seems to have intervened and many people don't come here for the waters any more. I've discerned that there at least two strains to the present transient population of the town: 1) older people (probably my age) who walk hesitantly around the streets, looking at the restored bath houses, and 2) bikers (not motorcyclists) who ride around, look mean, and on weekends populate the older downtown area. FWIW, I picked up a "Hot Springs Ride Guide" in the old downtown area which gives descriptions of various rides in the area. Fourteen motorcycles are shown in the brochure...13 H-D products, and one Honda.

    Enough cattiness. There is a downtown (the Hot Springs National Park is right there), but much if not most of the commercial activity has moved to the west, around and beyond Lake Hamilton. I have the impression that somehow the town is attempting to revive the past, but that strategy is apparently not working. Empty storefronts, and faded (to put it mildly) hotels abound.

     In downtown Hot Springs, there are two spots where cold spring water is said to come out of the ground. I watched as person after person arrived at one of these spots, pulled large empty containers from his/her car, filled them with the stuff coming out of the tap (literally), and drove away. I filled my water bottle, drank some. Seemed OK to me.

     Enough for now. Maybe Oklahoma, tomorrow...






  

3 comments:

  1. Hey John,
    Very interesting blog. I think the stories of the people you meet along the way are the best.

    Are you going to be going through Austin? Best damn ribs in TX, plus swimming and REAL Mexican food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your visit with us. Hope you can come back and visit a little longer. There's some awesome hiking in DuPont State Forest and Pisgah National Forest. You can observe more than 400 waterfalls here in Transylvania County, NC. I know...sounds like Chamber of Commerce stuff, but as you know, Laura & I have lived in several different locations throughout the nation. To us, this is the most ideal place. Be safe. Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down. Terry & Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying following you along the journey! Keep it up! Maybe there's a phone app that has a Starbucks location finder? If not, you could buy a simple brewing kit and do some french-pressing on the go!

    ReplyDelete