Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 11 - October 12 - Hot Springs, AR to Muskogee, OK - 210 miles

Well, I now know that parts of this adventure will not be uppermost in my mind. I try to find non-Interstate, aka slab roads on which to ride when I can, unless I'm trying to make some time, when generally means getting to a hotel before night falls.

I tried to keep off the the slab roads this day, and spent a lot of time taking what is generally called the "Business" route off the main roads. What this means is that I almost always found a moribund, empty town, filled with dispirited-looking storefronts. I stopped in a few of these places this day, saw where people had gathered, and drank coffee while listening in. I was clearly wallpaper in the view of the residents, not worthy of a greeting or most times a glance. I didn't hear any political ferment, but more commonly the laments of everyday life: pregnancies, court dates, lack of money, fears about the future. I do know how I live in the rarefied atmosphere of Eastern Massachusetts, but I'm sure there is part of the Arkansas/Oklahoma sentiment and difficulties not too far from Brookline.

Well, I was pretty pleased to be leaving Muskogee this morning, and headed west toward Oklahoma City and Perryton, TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment