Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 22 - October 23 - Bremen, GA to Greenville, SC - 220 miles

 My luck with good weather continued. I was mostly on Interstates this day, and left to get some water to drink. I stopped at a little place in Gerogia near an exit which catered mostly to truckers. The shop consisted of about 50% devoted to snacks, etc. and another 50% devoted to items which a trucker could put on his rig to shine it up a bit. Lots of chrome and reflectors.

   I had a pleasant chat with a Harley-riding fellow by the name of Terry Gibbs. Seems Terry decided to take the afternoon off and meet some fellow riders so that they could tool around for a few hours. We discussed bikes and different philosophies regarding protective gear. He was riding a very nice 2002 while Ultra-Glide. Seems his wife is not really interested in riding on the very nice passenger seat for more than about ten miles, thus he spends most of his time solo. He's been in the business of supplying wheels to the manufacturers of small trailers in the South, and has been doing this for 27 years. He said business was good.

   We discussed route to take to get to Greenville, SC, which was my goal for the day. He suggested that I stay on the Interstate for a bit, then go down through a town named Livonia, then head over to Hartwell to see the dam and the lake there. I thanked, him, mounted up and was off.

     Candidly, Livonia was a nice little town, but the most interesting thing to me was a small lot near the center of town which was filled with old cars and trucks, many in OK shape, and apparently available for sale. Here's a couple of photos I made while sitting on the bike:




  
A very odd little collection...

Anyway, I was soon in Hartwell (near the dam) which is a very pretty little town. Here's a shot of the downtown area:

  

I drove a few more miles, and came to the dam. I'm a sucker for civil engineering, so I wanted to see this place. Created by the US Army Corps of Engineers, it's a dam to aid in flood control, but also, it will produce hydropower. It controls the flow of the Savannah River, covers an area of 56,000 acres and has 962 miles of shoreline. Here's what it looked like on this day when I stopped by. Did not seem to be much hydropower production underway, alas:




A lot of people seem to use the dam, and the lake as a spot for fishing. Here are a couple of shots (made from the South Carolina side), of that kind of activity...as well as some boating on Hartwell Lake:






I spoke with the man and wife in the last photo who told me that they mostly catch bass, and bream at this location. I counted about ten people making the long walk to the dam along this walk where they'll go fishing.

     Then, I was back on the bike, and soon was in Greenville, SC.

No comments:

Post a Comment